Thursday, November 15, 2007

Fairbank Pitches Team to Victory

Provo - Edgemont Stadium produced yet another great night of Wiffleball Wednesday as Keith Fairbank pitched his team to a 7 to 4 victory. Keith credits his teammates; Jackie Donkin, Brian Emmett, Dave Jaynes, and Paul Ricks to the impressive win over rivals Brady Bowen, Chris Bradshaw, Ryan Johnson, and Rebekah Wittig.


"It wouldn't be classy if I didn't give my teammates the appropriate respect that they deserve, and we all know that I am a classy guy" Fairbank stated after the game, while sipping on some ginger ale. He was referring to the phenomenal defense his teammates gave him throughout the game. "If Emmett hadn't have robbed Ry-Rod of those two homers, it would have been a different story."

"Ryan is a great ball player and he hit those pretty well. I was just in the right place at the right time to rob him of those homers," Emmett said. The first one came in the first inning when Ryan hit what would have been a single shot but Emmett caught jumping back into the home run curtain. He later went on to say, "well, I don't think it hurt mostly because of the adrenaline that was running through my blood, having caught that ball."

The second one came 3 bats later for Johnson when Emmett caught a smoking line drive that was destined to be a 2 run shot. "Most people were probably thinking, 'wow! How did he catch that!? He's amazing!' but not me, I was hoping to get Brady out at first who had started to go to second. Just trying to play the best wiffleball that I can. I can't sit there thinking about how amazing I am."

The team also got solid play from Donkin and Jaynes, both playing in their first regular season game. Jaynes did his job of getting on base and producing runs for the team. He hit a home run off of Bradshaw on this third at bat and later drew two walks. "I was so happy for Dave when he hit that home run, so happy that I wanted to kiss him," Fairbank told reporters later. "I would have but I didn't want to be the first one to touch those lips, if you know what I mean."



Donkin recorded her first RBI for the season off a single that drove in teammate and friend, Paul Ricks. Paul returned the favor by driving in Jackie at his next at bat when he was walked by Bradshaw with the bases loaded. Bradshaw would go on to finish the inning after giving up one more run on a hit by Emmett but would not come back in the next inning, putting him at 0-2 for the season.

With the Thanksgiving holdiay next week, Wiffleball Wednesday will not be played until the week after the face stuffing holiday. Johnson, who has started the season in a disappointing fashion has stated that "the break will be good because it will give me time to clear my head. Plus, Thanksgiving is the best anyways!"

No comments: